- The Centre serves up to 50 meals per day.
- Many of these clients would be socially isolated if not for the friendships and activities provided by the Centre
- People with mental health issues utilise the Centre and participate in the activities daily. This is a significant component of our client group. Some of our clients with mental health issues are out-patients and are treated by Community Mental Health at the Centre.
- People with addiction issues utilise the Centre. Often addiction issues are the major barrier to individuals making positive life choices. These life choices have a major impact on gaining and maintaining safe and secure accommodation. Addiction issues include alcohol, drugs and gambling.
The TDC Inc. receives funding from several funding sources including:
1. The Queensland Government – The Department of Housing and Public Works.
The funded services include the provision of case management and capacity building to homeless and vulnerably homeless people including provision of toilet and washing facilities. The Centre opens from 8.30am to 2pm, Monday to Friday. This service is a participant to the Case Coordination Group for Public intoxication in Townsville. The TDC Inc. is funded to provide assistance to both casual and long-term clients. Clients of the TDC Inc. will be assisted to:
- Obtain and maintain appropriate stable and long term housing.
- Access appropriate support services and receive these on an ongoing basis where needed.
- Achieve re-engagement in the community, education or employment as appropriate.
2. The Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) and Queensland Government Community Care (QGCC)
The Homeless Outreach Project (HOP) provides services to aid individuals to obtain accommodation and live independently.
HOP staff work alongside clients to achieve their goals by providing transport, social support, domestic assistance as well the accessing of meals.
Transport can be arranged to attend appointments to access meals at The Centre. Meals are provided at a gold coin charge.
Delivered meals can be arranged for those who may be disadvantaged in accessing or cooking meals.
3. Emergency Relief Funding (ERF)
The Emergency Relief Funding (ERF) provides an opportunity for clients that are regularly engaging in our services to obtain or maintain their current accommodation and live independently.
The Townsville Drop In Centre Inc. (TDC Inc.) is an incorporated organisation opened since 11th of May 1984, to provide services to homeless and vulnerably homeless people in Townsville.
The TDC Inc. has a number of funding types including the Specialised Homeless Services (SHS), the Homeless Outreach program which consists of Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) and Queensland Government Community Care(QGCC) and Emergency Relief Funding (ERF).
The purpose of the TDC Inc. is to support homeless and vulnerably homeless people in Townsville area that are willing to help make the transition to secure and maintain accommodation long term whilst providing a platform for self sufficiency and catering for individual capacity incorporating life skills to fundamentally help reconnect centre users back into mainstream society.
- The TDC Inc. believes in the right of people to make choices in their own lives.
- The right of people to dignity, respect, privacy and confidentiality.
- The right of people to be valued as individuals.
- The right of people to access services on a nondiscriminatory basis.
- The right of the community to accountable and responsive services